Today I met with a group of mums and their toddlers to play golf at the pitch and put, Willows Road Golf Course. All of the children were new to golf and most of the children were below the age of 2. My girls had a brilliant time – my 4-year-old even asked if she could come back tomorrow.
Before 11am under 12’s can play the 18 hole pitch and put for $5. The beautiful setting meant that my 2-year-old, who lost interest after a few holes had plenty to keep her occupied.
There were lots of opportunities for learning too:
- Number recognition as we moved around the holes
- Recognising colours – who has the red ball? What colour flag do we have this time?
- Reading signs – Please rake your footprints, keep on the path.
- Gross motor skills – how do you hold the club? You need to hit it hard to get it up hill. What is the best way to get it in the hole?
- Counting – how many shots did you take that time?
- Writing – filling out a score card.
- Vocabulary – What is the stick called again? I’m in the bunker.
- Turn- taking and awareness of others.
We’ll definitely be doing it again, a great way to spend a sunny morning.